Home » » Bhindi Subji (Okra subji)

Bhindi Subji (Okra subji)

Written By Smita Patel on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 | 8:21:00 PM

Bhindi subji is very easy recipe to make. It can be served  with roti or paratha. Bhindi if one the favorite vegetable in my family so I make it very often.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb Bhindi (Okra)
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1+1/2 tbsp garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 2 tsp coriander - cumin powder 
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
  • 1 tbsp roasted chopped Peanuts (optional)

Steps:

  1. Wash the okra under running water very well and and wipe them with kitchen or paper towel. Make sure okra are completely dry before cut them.
  2. Cut both side of okra and discard them. Cut okra in 1/2 cm slices and keep it aside.
  3. On medium heat, Heat the oil in wide pan. When oil gets hot, add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add cumin seeds.
  4. Now add garlic and saute it for few seconds, then add turmeric powder.
  5. Add Okra and mix well.Now lower the heat and cook it. Don't stir it very frequently otherwise it will be more sticky. Do not cover the pan.
  6. Stir it every 4-5 minutes and let it cook until okra are tender. It took me about 16-17 minutes. Now you can notice that there is no stickiness in bhindi and all pieces are very well done.
  7. Now add red chili powder, coriander- cumin powder, salt, sugar and peanuts. Mix well and cook for one more minutes.

     
  8. It is ready to serve with roti or paratha.

Notes :

  • Okra should be completely dry before cut or cooking process or it will release the water and become sticky.
  • while cutting the okra, knife will become sticky, clean the knife to avoid more stickiness every time, when it happens.
  • Bhindi require more oil than other vegetables so be generous and add enough oil.
  • Peanuts will add the more flavor and crunchiness in bhindi subji.
SHARE

About Smita Patel

I'm Smita Patel. I'm currently full time mom for my two kids. By profession, I am an engineer and was working full time job but stopped working so I can give ample time to my kids.
My love for cooking started after I had kids as I would be always searching for new ways to make them eat perfect meals. Making them eat the same food made it boring for. So I started searching and experimenting with different recipes. And my family is loving it.
More

0 comments :

Post a Comment